Contact Steven at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- M.F.A., 1978, Creative Writing (poetry); Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, NY.
- M.A., 1973, Journalism/Mass Communications; University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- B.A., 1970, Sociology; City College of New York, New York, NY.
College Writing (1977-2012):
Developed and taught courses on process and application of writing techniques and strategies for Intro and Advanced Composition, Poetry, Fiction, Argument, Research, Technical, Business and Journalism (Feature and News Reporting).
- Manhattan College, NY, Adjunct Faculty, English Department (2009-12).
- New York City College of Technology – City University of New York, NY, Adjunct Faculty, English Department (2009-10).
- Lander College (Touro College), NY, Adjunct Faculty, English Department (2007-08).
- Yeshiva University, NY, Adjunct Faculty, English Department (2003-08).
- State University of New York – Fashion Institute of Technology, NY, Adjunct Faculty, English & Speech Department (2003-6).
- Brooklyn College – City University of New York, NY, Adjunct, English Department (2003, 1977-78).
- Western Oregon University, OR, Adjunct Faculty, English Department (1990-2002).
- Willamette University, OR, Visiting Writer, English Department (1993).
- Linn-Benton Community College, OR, Adjunct Faculty, English Department (1990-92).
- University of Oregon, OR, Adjunct Assistant Professor, School of Journalism (1989-90).
- The University of North Carolina – Wilmington, NC, Assistant Professor, English Department (1986-89).
- Oregon State University, OR, Instructor, English/Journalism Departments (1981-86).
- Spalding University, KY, Director, Creative Writing Program/Instructor, Humanities Division (1979-81).
Visiting Scholar/Writer (1975-2011):
Provided in-residence workshops and presentations on the craft of writing.
- The Louis and Mildred Resnick Institute for the Study of Modern Jewish Life, State University of New York – New Paltz, NY (2011, 2002, 2000).
- City College of New York – City University of New York, NY (2002).
- Linn-Benton Community College, OR (1999, 1992).
- Southwestern Oregon Community College, OR (1997).
- Seattle University, WA (1994).
- Peninsula College, WA (1994).
- Willamette University, OR (1986).
- Northern Michigan University, MI (1975).
Conducted workshops for writers of various ages and abilities in diverse settings:
- Adult Creative Workshops/Conferences: Poetry by the Sea, Voices Israel, Netanya (2014); The Hudson Valley Writers’ Center, NY (“Ritual Writing”) (2011); Poetry in the Branches (New York Public Library/Poets House) (2005-9); Poets & Writers: Lila Wallace Readers’ Digest Fund, CA (2006); The Peregrine Writers, OR (2003); San Luis Obispo Poetry Festival, CA (2002); Tumble Words, CA (Poets & Writers) (2002); Coos Head Writers Workshop, OR (1997, 1993); The Northwest Renaissance/Poetry Connection, WA (1994); Outloud Festival, NY (1993); Oregon State Poetry Association (1991, 1990); Catskill Poetry Festival, NY (1987).
- Senior Poetry Workshops: Poets House/Greenwich House Senior Center, NY (2014); Jewish Association for Services for the Aged, NY (2011); Creativity & Aging Initiative (National Endowment for the Arts/Poets House) (2009).
- Prison and Re-Entry Education: The College Initiative, NY (2004); Bakersfield College Arts in Corrections, California Men’s Colony (2002).
- Writers in the Schools Programs: California (2002); The Rural Readers Project (2001-2); Portland, OR (2000); Poetry Mentor Program, OR (1994-5); Washington (1993); “Teaching Creative Writing,” Louisville high school English teachers (1981).
- 2014 House Of Washing Hands, Pecan Grove Press
- 2012 Grazing On Stars: Selected Poems, Presa Press
- 2011 The Skipping Stone, Finishing Line Press
- 2009 Where The Shouting Began, Montemayor Press
- 2003 At The Willamette, Solo Press
- 2002 Thirty-Six, Creative Arts Book Company
- 2001 Flying Through Glass, Red Hill/Outloudbooks
- 1994 Traveler's Advisory, Trout Creek Press
- 1989 Man With A Thousand Eyes And Other Stories, Gull Books
- 1987 Northwest Variety: Personal Essays By 14 Regional Authors (editor), Arrowood Books
- 1985 Trolley Lives, Wampeter Press
- 1980 Caught In The Revolving Door, Love Street Books
- 1979 Persnickety, Seven Woods Press
- 1978 Nickelodeon, Gull Books
Poetry/prose has appeared in some 300 markets on five continents.
Writing Awards (partial list)
- Symphony Space (Selected Shorts: A Celebration of the Short Story) (2001)
- Poetry in Motion™ (2000)
- Oregon Book Awards finalist for Traveler’s Advisory (1994)
Presentations, lectures, papers and activities in special interest areas including:
- Jewish Life: “A Toast to the Soul” festival, JCC of Dutchess County, NY (2011); Talkline Communications Network (620 AM radio, NYC) (2010); ALEPH Kallah 1999; Jewish Oregon Writers Conference (1996).
- Spirituality and Healing: “Words of Healing, Words of Hope,” Arts in Medicine Program, OR (2003); “Poetry and Spirituality,” Oregon State University Academy for Lifelong Learning (2003); “Freeing the Human Spirit” Conference, Spalding University Summer Institute (1989).
- Poetry and Writing: “Hyam Plutzik’s Horatio as Post-Holocaust Poem,” Jewish American & Holocaust Literature symposium, American Literature Association, UT (2008); “A New ‘Golden Age’ of Jewish Poetry,” Institute of Judaic Studies, NY (2006); National Council of Teachers of English, Northwest Regional Conference (1997); “Celebrating Cultures, Celebrating Life,” Western Oregon University (1996, 1994); “A Day with Writers,” regional writing/small press conference, Louisville, KY (1980).
- Writing Organizations: presided over the Willamette Literary Guild, OR (1992-2001).
Editing, Journalism, Technical Writing
- Editor: Swan Publishing (1976-78); Junction (1977-78).
- Technical Editor, Media Consultant: CH2M Hill (1989-97).
- Editorial board: Oregon State University Press (1981-86).
- Regional Editor: People & Places (1974-75).
- Production Editor: Appleton-Century-Crofts (Prentice-Hall) (1977).
- Poetry Editor: Observer Quarterly (1999).
- Fiction Editor: The Wilmington Review (1986-89).
- Guest Editor: Pembroke Magazine (2005); Prairie Schooner (2004); Bitterroot (1973).
- News Consultant:: The Wilmington Star-News (1987).
- Manuscript Editor: Jason Aronson (1997-98).
- Copy Editor: Courier-Life newspaper group (1975).
- Editorial Assistant: Finance Magazine (1972).
Awards and honors include a Symphony Space (Selected Shorts: A Celebration of the Short Story) selection; How the Ink Feels poetry contest, second prize; a Poetry in Motion™ selection (Portland public transit program); Oregon Book Awards poetry finalist (for Traveler’s Advisor); Pitt Poetry Series finalist; North Carolina Writers Network Writers & Readers Series poetry prize; All Nations Poetry Contest winner.